Actor Sooraj Pancholi's counsel on Thursday filed a reply in the special court and opposed the fresh application made by Jiah Khan's mother Rabia Khan in which she sought fresh charges to be framed against Pancholi under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) section 302 (Punishment for Murder).
In her application, Rabia demanded that all the BBM messages and call records of Pancholi and his friends be retrieved and investigated.
Sooraj Pancholi's lawyer has opposed Rabia's application with following arguments:
- All these issues have already been investigated by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and a report has been filed.
- The High Court and the Supreme Court have already heard and decided these issues by refusing her pleas.
- These are all tactics to delay the verdict and should not be entertained.
- The application should be dismissed with a heavy cost to the applicant (Rabia Khan).
- The trial of the case should be expedited.
Meanwhile, an exemption application was also filed by Sooraj Pancholi as he could not appear in person today which was allowed by the special court.
The matter is, however, adjourned till May 4. Rabia, on April 20, claimed that she has the capacity of evidence to prove that her daughter's suicide was a murder.
The step has come after the petition filed by Jiah's mother, was withdrawn after the apex court refused to intervene in Bombay High Court's order, which denied a Special Investigations Team (SIT) in the matter.
Rabia had moved the Supreme Court as her plea seeking a SIT was rejected by the Bombay High Court on February 9. Jiah was found hanging in her room on June 3, 2013. A week later, the Juhu police had arrested Sooraj Pancholi on charges of abetment to suicide.
The CBI took over the probe from the Maharashtra Police on the Bombay High Court's orders. Rabiya Khan had moved the High Court, alleging that her daughter had been murdered and demanding that the CBI probe the matter.