A school headmistress was electrocuted during Independence Day preparations at a government school in Ranga Reddy, Hyderabad, on Sunday. Four students also suffered injuries in the incident.
The 40-year-old headmistress, K Prabhavati, was trying to erect an iron pole for hoisting the tricolour on Monday, Independence Day.
According to reports, the incident occured at Government Upper Primary School in Medikonda village, Pudur mandal, Ranga Reddy. The headmistress reached the school at around 11 am to oversee the arrangements of I-Day flag hoisting ceremony. Prabhavati wanted to check if the iron pole, on which the national flag would be hoisted, fits into the groove of the cement base. Four students also assisted her.
The mishap occured when they were trying to remove the pole and could not balance its weight. The top part of the pole fell on live electric wires, passing by the school. "The headmistress and the students erected the pole successfully. The mishap occurred while they were trying to remove it. The headmistress and the students suffered electric shock. Villagers immediately rushed them to the Vikarabad government hospital in an auto, where Prabhavati was declared brought dead. The students are out of danger," said Chengomul assistant sub-inspector (ASI) Y Yadaiah to TOI.
They were immediately shifted the injured to Vikarabad Government Hospital. Doctors declared Prabhavathi brought dead while the four injured students - Keerthi, Ganesh, Madhumathi of Class III and Himateja of Class I - are being treated for burns. Their condition has been reported to be stable.
The Headmistress husband has registered a case under section 174 (Suspicious death) of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC).