As many as 20 Indian Air Force (IAF) fighter aircraft, including three frontline Sukhois, have crashed in the last three years, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar told the Lok Sabha in a written reply today.
- Two IAF personnel were killed and as many civilians injured in these accidents
- 2014-15 saw the maximum crashes which included one Sukhoi, four MiGs and two Jaguars
- In 2013-14, there were six crashes involving five MiGs and one Jaguar
- In 2012-13, one Sukhoi crashed besides two MiGs and one Jaguar
Reasons for crashes
"The main reasons for the crashes were technical defects and human error," Parrikar said.
- 386 crore: Aircraft and service property (12 accidents assessed)
- 4.43 lakh: Loss to civilian property