Ajay Thakur, his two daughters -- two-months- and two-years-old -- and his nine months' pregnant wife have spent the last four nights in the open. Thakur can't stop weeping. He doesn't know where to keep his children, the older of whom has been in a vegetative state since birth. He also fears for the life of his pregnant wife and the child she bears.
Thakur came to Delhi 13 years ago. Until recently the wages he earned from sweeping floors and collecting garbage was enough to take care of his family of four. But since Monday he's lost his home and, when he didn't report to work for a day, his job as well. With that house Thakur also lost his life's earnings.
As has happened to thousands of other people living in jhuggis in Mehrauli's shamshaan ghat area - his house was demolished on Monday.
On Tuesday night some Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) volunteers arranged for some food and tents. Thakur believed he would begin his life afresh in this new settlement.
But on Wednesday night he was told that the arrangement made for food and tents was over. No more food would be served to them and by Thursday noon, the tents would be dismantled and taken away as well.
Thakur can't believe the tragic turn his life has taken over the last four days. "I will die but will not leave my house. We will all die here."
- In pictures: Is Jallikattu about cruelty or culture?
- Here's how a 25-year-old law grad is helping Delhi's homeless beat the cold
- Malegaon blasts case: ex-cop Mujawar claims ATS actually killed 3 accused
- Jallikattu protests grip Tamil Nadu. But is it really a cruel sport?
- We were denied our basic right to pay homage, says Rohith Vemula's brother Raja
- You may want to be clever like Birbal, but it's Chanakya who is inspiring many
- Heard of the love meter? You will in Khalid Akhtar's 'Love in Chakiwara'
- Snowflakes of Time review: This Sibal is the superior poet in the family
- Om Puri's memory deserves better than the sleazy biography his wife wrote
- Om Puri is finally free of the Chakravyuh we built around his life and death
- Kohli and Dhoni: A study in contrasts
- The biggest FIFA World Cup ever - 48 teams for 2026, will India make cut?
- O captain! My captain! There will never be another Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- SC axes Anurag Thakur as BCCI chief: the clean-up in Indian sport begins here
- Anurag Thakur ousted from his post as BCCI president by Supreme Court
- Trump's inauguration merchandise includes chocolate bars, hot sauce and a dog poo bag
- Why we should send Bill Gates to Mars
- Trumpus Andronicus? What the Byzantine Empire can tell us about the rise of populist leaders
- The number of House Democrats boycotting Trump's inauguration just keeps increasing
- 8 men as rich as half the world says Oxfam report. Is there a way to fix this stark inequality?