When Sadio Mane headed Southampton into the lead just 39 seconds into their League Cup quarter-final against Liverpool on 2 December, Southampton fans cheered, for they thought this was to be their night.
However, what followed in the remaining 89 minutes was an attacking master class from Liverpool. The tie ended 6-1 in favour of the team from Merseyside - emphatically booking their place in the semifinals against Stoke City.
Daniel Sturridge scored a brace on his return to the starting line up, while Divock Origi bagged a hattrick - his first three goals for the club after being signed last season from Lille.
Jordon Ibe was part of the rout, scoring a well taken half volley from the edge of the box.
Here are all the goals from the match-
Liverpool's win was also record-breaking in some aspects:
- This was Liverpool's biggest-ever victory in the League Cup.
- Divck Origi became the first Liverpool player to score a League Cup hattrick since Fernando Torres at Reading, in September 2007.
- Jordon Ibe's goal was the 250th one to be scored by a Liverpool substitute.
- Southampton's 6-1 defeat has been their worst at home in over 50 years. They lost 6-0 to Brentford in March 1959.
- With his two goals, Daniel Sturridge maintained his record of having the best goals to games ratio of any other Liverpool striker in the club's history. His ratio of 0.64 is ahead of the likes of Luis Suarez, Ian Rush and Robbie Fowler.
- Liverpool's semi-final appearance against Stoke City will be their 16th in the League Cup - more than any other English side.