The Delhi police on 8 April arrested the father of the newly turned 18-year-old boy who allegedly ran over a 35-year-old in north Delhi’s Civil Lines area while driving a Mercedes-Benz on 4 April and crushed him to death. The teenager is set to appear before the Juvenile Justice Board today. In a recent report by TOI, the teenager driving the car has been charged with culpable homicide.
A police official was quoted saying, “The businessman was arrested today under the charge of abetment leading to culpable homicide not amounting to murder.” The Delhi police also alleged that the father was completely aware that his son was taking the car out and had not stopped him from doing so.
According to a report in NDTV, police officials revealed that this was not the first time the 18-year-old was being charged for rash driving. He was a repeated offender and is reported to have a history of rash driving. The car had been challaned under the Motor Vehicles Act in the past as well. Deputy commissioner of police (North) Madhur Verma said, "During the investigation, we got to know that the teenager is a repeat offender. He was fined for dangerous driving in March as well."
Investigators are also questioning a man, who claiming to be his driver approached the police and took responsibility for the accident saying he was driving the car when the incident took place. However, he immediately changed his statement after learning that the victim was dead.
The 18-year-old was earlier arrested on the basis of CCTV footage and eye-witness accounts. However, he was released on bail within minutes. The boy’s father was finally arrested on Friday and will be produced before the court today. Meanwhile, the police said they would seek custody of the father from the court.