Home » cricket news » Guwahati stone-throwing incident not reflective of our security measures: Rajyavardhan Rathore
 
SPEED NEWS

Guwahati stone-throwing incident not reflective of our security measures: Rajyavardhan Rathore

News Agencies | Updated on: 11 October 2017, 11:50 IST
(ANI)

Union Sports Minister Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore has condemned the stone-pelting incident on the Australian cricket team bus, adding that he has also spoken to Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal about the same.

A rock was allegedly thrown at the Australian team bus as they returned to the team hotel from the Barsapara Cricket Stadium following their eight-wicket win in the second T20I of the three-match series in Guwahati.

Taking to Twitter, Rathore? said that the stone-throwing incident in Guwahati was not reflective of the country's security measures.

"Guwahati stone-throwing incident NOT reflective of our security measures. Aus team & FIFA are content w/those. India remains a graceful host," Rathore, who replaced Vijay Goel as the Sports Minister earlier this year, tweeted.

Admitting that the security of visiting athletes and teams is paramount, Rathore confirmed that he had a word with Sonowal regarding the incident.

"Have spoken to @sarbanandsonwal ji about the Guwahati incident. Personal security of visiting athletes & teams is extremely important for us," he said.

Australian opener Aaron Finch has earlier tweeted a picture of a broken window saying, "Pretty scary having a rock thrown through the team bus window on the way back to the hotel!!"

The rock, believed to be roughly the size of a cricket ball, was thrown at a window on the right-hand side of the bus, while it was returning from the stadium.

It should be noted that no injuries were caused to any of the players or the support staff.

Meanwhile, Assam's Finance Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma apologised for the incident, adding that a strict action would be taken against the guilty.

"Our deep apology. People of assam never endorse such behaviour.we will punish the guilty," he wrote on Twitter.

In a similar incident, a small rock or stone was thrown at the Australian team's bus in September in Chittagong during their two-Test series against Bangladesh.

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) at that time had immediately increased security for the Australian team to ensure there were no further mishaps.

India and Australia will now head to Hyderabad to lock horns in the series-decider T-20 match of the three-match series, which is to be played on October 13 at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium.

-ANI

First published: 11 October 2017, 11:50 IST
 
PREVIOUS STORY
NEXT STORY