Test cricket’s hallmark event, the Boxing Day Test at the iconic MCG witnessed many records broken by the Indian side. India won the Test by 137 runs after making 443 runs in the first innings and 106 runs in the second innings. Thanks to Mayank Agarwal, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma who helped India put on a mammoth target.
- With an unassailable 2-1 series lead India are assured of retaining the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.
- This is India’s 150th Test win and first at MCG in 37 years.
- This is the first time since 1977-78 that India have won Two Tests in Australia.
- With this win, Virat Kohli have equalled Saourav Ganguly’s record of most wins for India in overseas Tests as captain. Kohli 11 Tests out of the 24 Tests he played as captain while Sourav Ganguly is second on list, he won 11 Tests in the 28 matches he played. MS Dhoni is third while Rahul Dravid is forth on the list.
- Cheteshwar Pujara became the only batsman to score 50 plus runs in all of India’s four away wins in 2018. Pujara made 50 off 179 in Johannesburg, 72 off 208 in Trent Bridge, 123 off 71 in Adelaide and 106 off 319 in Melbourne.
- The third Test at MCG also saw a record involving Rishabh Pant who equaled the record of Brad Haddin who have the most dismissals by a wicket-keeper in his debut calendar year. Both Haddin and Pant have 42 dismissals under their name.
- Jasprit Bumrah registered the best figures by an Indian pacer in Australia. Bumrah took 9 wickets for 86 runs at MCG. Kapil Dev and Ajit Agarkar are other bowlers in the list who took 8 wickets respectively.
- Jasprit Bumrah also achieved another feat by taking most wickets in a calendar year. The pacer took 48 wickets in 2018 becoming the third in the list and only Indian to take most wickets in a calendar year.
Jasprit Bumrah was adjudged as Man of the Match. Bumrah bowled a demolishing spell and took 9 wickets in total. Bumrah also took a five wicket-haul in Australia’s first innings.
India and Australia will play their forth and final Test match starting from January 3 after which they will play a three match ODI series starting from January 12. Former Indian skipper MS Dhoni is back in the squad for the ODIs as announced by the BCCI.