Have UP's fortunes improved with Akhilesh as CM? A look at the numbers:
As the political tennis match between Mulayam Singh Yadav and son Akhilesh Yadav continues, no one is sure about the political future of the Samajwadi Party.
But one thing is certain: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav now has a much firmer footing in state politics than he did before.
Beyond the drama over recent months, this notion possibly stems from the idea that he has transformed UP over the past five years.
But how true is such a statement? Here is a snapshot, based on available data, on how the young CM has fared during his tenure.
- Gross Domestic Product of UP as of 2014-15.
- In 2012-13 (before Akhilesh came to power), UP's GDP was $144 billion.
- This means that the GDP increased by 10% after Akhilesh came to power.
- However, the growth rate under the previous Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) government was higher than even the GDP under Akhilesh's regime. Under the BSP, GDP growth rate was 5.4%; industrial growth rate was 2.8% and agricultural growth was 3.1%. Under Akhilesh, these numbers were 3.6%, 1.8% and 1.3% respectively.
- Amount of investment UP received with Akhilesh as CM, according to a report in Business Standard.
- Additionally, about Rs 14,465 crore of investment was made into the Special Economic Zones of Uttar Pradesh as of September 2016.
- This has led to the direct employment 1,13,705 persons and exports from these SEZs has been Rs 10,570 crore.
- During the previous Mayawati regime, investment was Rs 10,773, or less than half of what Akhilesh could manage.
- Total number of serious crimes registered under Akhilesh government, from 2012 to 2015, according to an analysis in Mint.
- Serious crimes include rapes, riots, murders, kidnapping and abductions.
- Through four years of the previous BSP regime, only 356 such serious crimes were registered.
The numbers prove that even though certain areas have improved, such as investment and employment, the Akhilesh government has not done spectacularly on other fronts.
Even so, switch to any news channel and be besieged by the advertisement blitzkreig launched by Akhilesh's government, which indicate that the UP CM has been the torchbearer of development - improving the lives of students, youth, sports aspirants and more.
Edited by Aleesha Matharu