Every Indian adult has an average wealth of US $3840, but debt of $376
As India reels under the effects of demonetisation, a report by global financial services provider Credit Suisse states there is massive disparity in terms of wealth in the country, though wealth has increased.
Here are some snapshots from the report:
- Average annual growth rate of wealth per Indian adult between 2000-2016.
- Average wealth per adult in 2016.
- Share of household assets which is in the form of real assets and property.
- Average personal debt of Indians.
- This is estimated to be 9% of gross assets.
- "Indebtedness is a severe problem for many poor people in India. Overall household debt as a proportion of assets in India is lower than in most developed countries," says the report.
- Share of adult population whose wealth is below $10,000.
- Number of adults who have wealth of more than $100 million, according to Credit Suisse estimates.
- About 2,260 adults own wealth over $50 million.
- India's total wealth.
- China's total wealth is over seven times more, at $23 trillion.
- India has 178,000 millionaires as against 1,590,000 in China.
The report also says that developing economies may overtake developed economies in terms of wealth. And India, which is currently ranked 14th, is likely to move ahead of countries like Switzerland and Taiwan in the next five years.
Edited by Shreyas Sharma
- Activists ask CIC: Why was Sridhar Acharyulu divested of HRD charge after Modi degree order?
- Seven years on, this acid attack survivor is still fighting for justice
- Retired DU teachers & employees struggle without pensions, launch stir
- Jallikattu protests set to end as Tamil Nadu govt readies ordinance
- Modi says no to Jallikattu ordinance. Will protests turn violent now?
- JLF 2017 kicks off with songs, Sadhguru & Man Booker winner Paul Beatty
- No women to marry in China, so sex dolls are hugely popular: Mei Fong
- You may want to be clever like Birbal, but it's Chanakya who is inspiring many
- Heard of the love meter? You will in Khalid Akhtar's 'Love in Chakiwara'
- Snowflakes of Time review: This Sibal is the superior poet in the family
- Oldies in ODIs a 'regressive' move? Yuvraj and Dhoni hit that thought for six
- Kohli and Dhoni: A study in contrasts
- The biggest FIFA World Cup ever - 48 teams for 2026, will India make cut?
- O captain! My captain! There will never be another Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- SC axes Anurag Thakur as BCCI chief: the clean-up in Indian sport begins here
- Donald Trump moves from 'I' to 'We' as he's sworn in as USA's 45th President
- In pictures: Donald Trump is officially the world's most powerful man
- From New Deal to the art of the deal: how the neoliberal project led to Trump
- What you missed at the Make America Great Again! Welcome Celebration Concert
- Holiday cut short. See how an avalanche took down this Italy hotel