Every Indian adult has an average wealth of US $3840, but debt of $376
As India reels under the effects of demonetisation, a report by global financial services provider Credit Suisse states there is massive disparity in terms of wealth in the country, though wealth has increased.
Here are some snapshots from the report:
- Average annual growth rate of wealth per Indian adult between 2000-2016.
- Average wealth per adult in 2016.
- Share of household assets which is in the form of real assets and property.
- Average personal debt of Indians.
- This is estimated to be 9% of gross assets.
- "Indebtedness is a severe problem for many poor people in India. Overall household debt as a proportion of assets in India is lower than in most developed countries," says the report.
- Share of adult population whose wealth is below $10,000.
- Number of adults who have wealth of more than $100 million, according to Credit Suisse estimates.
- About 2,260 adults own wealth over $50 million.
- India's total wealth.
- China's total wealth is over seven times more, at $23 trillion.
- India has 178,000 millionaires as against 1,590,000 in China.
The report also says that developing economies may overtake developed economies in terms of wealth. And India, which is currently ranked 14th, is likely to move ahead of countries like Switzerland and Taiwan in the next five years.
Edited by Shreyas Sharma
- Note ban is not demonetisation. And Modi was aware of the demon it unleashed
- A year after Chennai floods: 'National' media continues Delhi-Mumbai favouritism
- Watch: 'There were better ways to attack black money than notebandi'
- Revealed: Just before note ban, BJP bought land in Bengal as well
- Chidambaram targets Modi: A leader shouldn't only heed public opinion, but lead it too
- Indian poetry loses a leading light as Bekal Utsahi passes away
- In Pictures: 10 Amazing Photos from the Hornbill Festival 2016
- Forget happy pills, magic mushrooms can fight severe depression
- Quotes from the Earth: a film festival to focus on environmental issues is here
- Gopalkrishna Gandhi: Death penalty won't curb terrorism, ensure women's safety
- The undying afterlife of Milkha Singh
- Lodha panel wants BCCI officials replaced by GK Pillai. This battle isn't over
- Traditional welcome for Kashmir's 8-year-old world kickboxing champ
- The kickboxing kid: Rare photos of 8-year-old kickboxing champ Tajamul Islam
- Assam's 15-year old boy bags five gold medals in South Asian Aquatic Championship
- Terror dominates Heart of Asia meet, Amritsar Declaration turns up heat on Pak
- Explainer: Italy's constitutional referendum & Matteo Renzi's great political gamble
- Photo: As Aleppo loses her famous 'Clown' & cat sanctuary, is there any hope left?
- India isn't alone when it comes to mandatory rulings about the national anthem
- How the US is outsourcing border enforcement to Mexico