Home » World News » Kabul attack: Hotel siege ends after 13-hour gun battle
 
SPEED NEWS

Kabul attack: Hotel siege ends after 13-hour gun battle

News Agencies | Updated on: 21 January 2018, 13:47 IST
Kabul Attack (ANI)

Afghanistan Ministry of Interior (MoI) has confirmed that all the three terrorists, who attacked the Intercontinental Hotel here, have been eliminated after a 13-hour stand-off, the Tolo News reported.

MoI spokesperson Najib Danish confirmed that the security forces were finally able to sweep most areas of the hotel in their bid to bring the situation under control.

At least five civilians died and six others were wounded, including three security force members in the attack.

Earlier today, the Ministry of Interior's (MoI) spokesman Najib Danish had confirmed that the death toll stood at five.

He had said that two attackers have been killed and the forces were still looking for at least one more if not two.

According to the spokesman, 100 guests and staffers had been rescued, of which 16 were foreign nationals.

He said all those who had died or were wounded had been Afghan nationals.

Najib also dismissed the reports of a hostage situation.

The gunmen stormed the hotel on Saturday evening, shooting at guests and detonating grenades.

They targeted staff and guests before special forces were called in.

The Intercontinental Hotel, located on a hilltop and heavily protected like most public buildings in Kabul, is one of two main luxury hotels in the city and had reportedly been due to host an information technology conference on Sunday.

In 2011, a similar attack on the hotel left at least 21 people dead, which also included nine attackers. The Taliban had claimed responsibility for that attack.

The attack comes just days after the US embassy in Kabul issued a warning about hotels in the city.

--ANI

First published: 21 January 2018, 13:47 IST
 
PREVIOUS STORY
NEXT STORY