At least five civilians died and six others were wounded, including three security force members, after a group of insurgents stormed the Intercontinental Hotel here.
The Tolo News quoted the Ministry of Interior's (MoI) spokesman Najib Danish confirmed that the death toll in the ongoing siege stood at five.
Five floors of the hotel have been cleared and only sixth floor remains to be secured, Danish revealed. He further said that two attackers have been killed and the forces were still looking for at least one more if not two.
According to the spokesman, 100 guests and staffers had been rescued, of which 16 were foreign nationals.
He said all those who had died or were wounded had been Afghan nationals.
Najib also dismissed the reports of a hostage situation.
Earlier today, the Afghan officials had confirmed that at least four gunmen had launched the attack.
The gunmen stormed the hotel on Saturday evening, shooting at guests and detonating grenades.
They targeted staff and guests before Special Forces were called in.
The Intercontinental Hotel, located on a hilltop and heavily protected like most public buildings in Kabul, is one of two main luxury hotels in the city and had reportedly been due to host an information technology conference on Sunday.
In 2011, a similar attack on the hotel left at least 21 people dead, which also included nine attackers. The Taliban had claimed responsibility for that attack.
The attack comes just days after the US embassy in Kabul issued a warning about hotels in the city.