Five people were injured after they were allegedly attacked by Rohingya miscreants in Bangladesh's Cox's Bazar last night, The Daily Star reports.
According to the news report, a fight broke out when a group of social workers guarding the Balukhali camp tried to stop a gang of Rohingya miscreants, who tried to enter the camp.
A police official said the Rohingya refugees in the camp caught two of the attackers, who were handed over to the police, adding, two cut rifles and six cartridges were also recovered from them.
More than 5,00,000 Rohingya people have fled to Bangladesh since the Myanmar security forces launched an operation in response to alleged attacks by militants on August 25 against 30 police posts and a regimental headquarters.
Earlier this month, Bangladesh Foreign Minister A.H. Mahmood Ali said a total of 3,000 Rohingya refugees were killed since the army crackdown.
On October 12, a United Nations report based on interviews conducted in Bangladesh found that brutal attacks against Rohingya people in the northern Rakhine state have been well-organised, coordinated and systematic, with the intent of not only driving the population out of Myanmar, but preventing them from returning to their homes.
The Rakhine state is home to the Rohingya community of Myanmar, ethnic Muslims, who have long faced persecution in the Buddhist-majority country, especially from the extremists.