Tamil Nadu's shift in power: MK Stalin elected as DMK's working president
Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) leader MK Stalin was elected as the party's working president in the general council meeting on Wednesday.
The meeting - earlier scheduled for 20 December - had to be cancelled in view of party president M Karunanidhi's hospitalisation.
The meeting was chaired by party general secretary K Anbalagan.
Five times chief minister of Tamil Nadu, Karunanidhi had chosen Stalin as his heir four years ago.
Stalin, also Treasurer of the DMK was born to Karunanidhi's second wife, Dayalu Ammal.
Election Commission to announce poll dates for five states today
The Election Commission will announce the poll dates for five state Assemblies - Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Manipur, Goa and Uttarakhand, on Wednesday.
A press conference will be held at noon today where Chief Election Commissioner Nasim Zaidi will announce a list of dates including the last date of filing nominations, when each state will vote, phases, if any, and the day of counting.
The Election Commission on Tuesday held a meeting with Chief Electoral Officers of the five poll-bound states to fine tune the arrangements.
At the meeting, the assessment of the law and order situation, deployment of polling personnel, safety and electronic voting machines and strict implementation of the model code of conduct also came up for discussion.
The law and order situation in Manipur due to the road blockade by some Naga groups was also discussed.
Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar takes oath as 44th Chief Justice of India
Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar on 4 January assumed the office of Chief Justice of India (CJI) as the tenure of Justice TS Thakur culminated on Tuesday.
On 19 December, President Pranab Mukherjee had cleared Justice Khehar's name for the position.
64-year old Justice Khehar, who was sworn in by President Mukherjee, will be the 44th Chief Justice of India and will hold the post for seven months.
The Supreme Court on Tuesday once again dismissed a plea challenging the appointment of Justice Khehar as the next CJI, saying, it is in the public interest that the "curtain should be brought down".
Mediocre teachers responsible for poor ranking of St Stephen's college: Valson Thampu
Former St Stephen's principal Valson Thampu, who was at loggerheads with the institution's alumni during his tenure, has kicked off a fresh controversy by blaming the college's poor ranking on "mediocre teachers".
A group of alumni have hit back, saying Thampu should claim responsibility if any "damage" has been done to the college affecting the recently-released National and Accreditation and Assessment (NAAC) ranking.
Despite being among the most sought after colleges in the country, the NAAC ranking of St Stephen's college has fallen below that of Zakir Hussain college and Acharya Narendra Dev college.
Panneerselvam to hold Cabinet meeting to discuss farmers' suicide, drought issue, state budget
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister O Panneerselvam will hold a Cabinet meeting on Wednesday to discuss farmers' suicide, drought issue and the state budget.
Admitting to grave concerns about the growing water crisis in the state, the Tamil Nadu government on 3 January said it was staring at a "drought" in the wake of poor northeast monsoon.
Panneerselvam said high-level teams of ministers and senior officials would be constituted to assess crop damage and extend relief to distressed farmers.
In a statement, the Chief Minister said the teams would tour districts and submit a report to the government on 10 January.
- In pictures: Is Jallikattu about cruelty or culture?
- Here's how a 25-year-old law grad is helping Delhi's homeless beat the cold
- Malegaon blasts case: ex-cop Mujawar claims ATS actually killed 3 accused
- Jallikattu protests grip Tamil Nadu. But is it really a cruel sport?
- We were denied our basic right to pay homage, says Rohith Vemula's brother Raja
- You may want to be clever like Birbal, but it's Chanakya who is inspiring many
- Heard of the love meter? You will in Khalid Akhtar's 'Love in Chakiwara'
- Snowflakes of Time review: This Sibal is the superior poet in the family
- Om Puri's memory deserves better than the sleazy biography his wife wrote
- Om Puri is finally free of the Chakravyuh we built around his life and death
- Kohli and Dhoni: A study in contrasts
- The biggest FIFA World Cup ever - 48 teams for 2026, will India make cut?
- O captain! My captain! There will never be another Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- SC axes Anurag Thakur as BCCI chief: the clean-up in Indian sport begins here
- Anurag Thakur ousted from his post as BCCI president by Supreme Court
- Trump's inauguration merchandise includes chocolate bars, hot sauce and a dog poo bag
- Why we should send Bill Gates to Mars
- Trumpus Andronicus? What the Byzantine Empire can tell us about the rise of populist leaders
- The number of House Democrats boycotting Trump's inauguration just keeps increasing
- 8 men as rich as half the world says Oxfam report. Is there a way to fix this stark inequality?