Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Tejashwi Yadav, whose security personnel were yesterday accused of manhandling the media persons gathered to jot down his reaction as he emerged to speak to the media after a cabinet meeting, held by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, on Thursday clarified that when multitudes of media persons jostle to take a person's byte, it becomes difficult for the security guards to manage the crowd, while adding that he would personally look into the matter and get it investigated.
Tejashwi took to his Facebook and posted a note that said he regrets and condemns any charge on the media.
"There is misleading information about the attack on media persons, on request of them I patiently waited abt 5-7 mins so that they stop meddling with each other out of competition however that was in vein. I totally understand know how difficult is their job, especially the cameramen. They were falling & competing with each other. A couple of media person was putting Milk behind me & brushed my ears & head also. There were moments when around ten mikes were about to hit my nose, I saved myself & duty personals were protecting it while being on duty," the statement read.
"Personally I wasn't aware what's happening another side as was addressing the media and completely surrounded by media only. Even a cameraman hardly hit the Health Minister with his camera on the head while boarding the car & it wasn't reported at all, rather no need to as it happens out of rush. Many security guards had minor bruises. On such critical moments when hundreds of media surround & suddenly jumps for byte, it becomes a bit difficult for us, media & security guards also. There were reports on few channels stating that it happened on my instructions and few RJD supporters carried the assault which is totally undesirable, baseless & meaningless. We always have been friendly with media and respond to them. I regret & condemn any charge on media. Such incidents must not take place, I will personally look into the matter & get it investigated," the statement added.
The Bihar Chief Minister had called the meeting of all MPs, MLAs and other office bearers and leaders of the state to discuss the political situation in the wake of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) raids on Alliance partner Lalu Yadav and family, following which, it was reported that Tejashwi's security personnel manhandled media person outside the Bihar Secretariat.
An ANI reporter, by the name of Rahul Singh, was amongst one of the media persons who was pushed aside.
Meanwhile, holding the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) solely responsible for the corruption charges slapped against him, Tejashwi Yadav remained defiant about not succumbing to the pressure or resigning, citing that the charges were a part of a political vendetta against him and his family.
Tejashwi further said he was not surprised when the saffron party had a problem with the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) supremo and his father Lalu Prasad Yadav, but to be fearing the 28-year-old him is beyond his imagination.
"The BJP is surprised to see a 28-year-old to not just rule the state, but also govern it efficiently. We will take an action against them. They don't deserve a place here," he said.
Further denying the charges made against him, Tejashwi said that the charges date back to 2004-2006 when he was a 14-year-old and a teenage couldn't be committing crimes.
Earlier last week, the CBI registered a corruption case against Lalu Yadav, his wife Rabri Devi, son Tejashwi Yadav; former Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) Managing Director P.K. Goyal; and the wife of Lalu's confidante Prem Chand Gupta, Sujata on allegations of awarding the tender for development, maintenance and operation of hotels in Ranchi and Puri in 2006.
The CBI later questioned Rabri Devi and Tejashwi.
The case was registered on the allegations of awarding the tender for development, maintenance and operation of Hotels at Ranchi and Puri to a Private Company dealing with Hotels in the year 2006.
The investigative agency also conducted searches at 12 locations across Patna, Delhi, Gurugram and other places.
The RJD supremo, however, refuted the allegations against him and called it a political conspiracy hatched by the BJP.