Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a war memorial in Bhopal on 14 October. At the event, he also addressed ex-servicemen in a gathering called 'Shayrta Samman Sabha'.
The war memorial, which took six years to build, has been constructed over 12 acres on Arera Hills at a cost of approximately Rs 41 crore. The memorial includes a 62-foot Shaurya Stambh, an amphitheatre with a capacity to seat 1,000 people and galleries to showcase the armed forces' history and wars the country has fought.
PM Narendra Modi inaugurates 'Shaurya Samarak' in Bhopal pic.twitter.com/Pn5ZtWKV0o— ANI (@ANI_news) October 14, 2016
Here are a few excerpts from his speech on 14 October:
- The biggest strength and weapon of our army is its determination & will power and that is derived from the support of 1.2 billion people.
- Roz mere baal noch diye jaate the, 'Modi so raha hai', lekin hamaari Sena bolti nhi,parakram karti hai.
- About 1.5 lakhs Indian soldiers fought and lost their lives during the two World Wars. World must never forget their sacrifices.
- It is my privilege to pay my tributes to our brave soldiers here on this historic day.
- Other than their uniform and valour we must also see army men as an example of humanity.
- It is Indian Army that extends their help for the rescue and relief operation in the Srinagar without once thinking that it is the same people who pelted stones at them.
- It is the call of humanity that inspires our armed forces when they're helping people during natural disasters. Nothing else matters.
- When we think of armed forces, we remember their bravery and also their role during a natural disaster.
- India is one of the biggest contributors to the UN peacekeeping forces.
- While rescuing Indians in Yemen, Indian army also rescued a few Pakistanis, this is the example of humanity of our Indian army.
- Kashmir mei prakritik aapda mei fase logon ko bachate hue desh ke jawano ne kabhie ye nahi socha ki ye to un par pathar maara karte the.
- Army, BSF, CRPF, Coast Guard jawans sacrifice their lives so that we can sleep peacefully.
- Hindustan ka itihaas is baat ka gawah hai ki humare purvajon ne kisi ki ek inch zameen ko apna banane ke liye jhagda nahi kiya hai.
- The biggest strength & weapon of our army is its determination & will power & that is derived from the support of 1.2 billion ppl.
- Hum chain ki neend so jayein toh sena ko khushi milti hai, lekin jaagne ke samay bhi so jayein to sena maaf nahi karti hai.
- Like our army doesn't say but displays its valour, similarly our Defence Minister also doesn't speak.
- Roz mere baal noch diye jaate the, 'Modi so raha hai', lekin hamaari Sena bolti nhi, parakram karti hai.
PM Modi's Bhopal event comes three days after he addressed a rally at Lucknow. During his Dusshera address, he said: "sometimes war becomes unavoidable".