The Monsoon Session of Parliament began on 17 July and will extend up to 11 August. There will be a total of 19 sittings during the session.
The agenda for legislation includes 18 pending bills for passing. Of these 18, nine have been cleared by Lok Sabha. Sixteen new bills have also been listed for introduction and passing. Three bills are listed for withdrawal.
Bills listed for consideration and passage
- The Footwear Design and Development Institute Bill, 2017 (Establishes the Institute as an institution of national importance for the development of quality in education, research and training in footwear and leather products design.) Introduced on March 14 and passed by the Lok Sabha on April 5.
- The National Institutes of Technology, Science Education and Research (Second Amendment) Bill, 2016 (Incorporates the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research at Tirupati and Berhampur). Bill introduced on December 9, 2016 and passed by the Lok Sabha on March 28, 2017.
- The Indian Institutes of Management Bill, 2017 (Declares the Indian Institutes of Management to be institutions of national importance and enables them to award degrees.) Introduced in Lok Sabha on February 9. To be referred to a Standing Committee.
- The Indian Institutes of Information Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2017 (Declares the Indian Institute of Technology, Design and Manufacturing, Kurnool as an institution of national importance and modifies the process of appointment of Director and professors of associate level and above.) Introduced in Lok Sabha on March 27 and yet to be referred to Standing Committee.
- The Indian Institutes of Information Technology (Public-Private Partnership) Bill, 2017 (Declares the IIITs set up under public-private partnership to be institutions of national importance and specifies the nature of partnership between industrial partners, state and central governments. Introduced in Lok Sabha on April 10 and yet to be to Standing Committee.
- The Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (Amendment) Bill, 2017 (Extends the deadline until 2019 for teachers to acquire minimum qualifications mandated under the 2009 Act.) Introduced in Lok Sabha on April 10 and yet to be referred to Standing Committee (Finance).
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Amendment) Bill, 2017 (Empowers the government to increase authorised apital of NABARD from 5,000 crore to 30,000 crore rupees and transfers RBI's equity in NABARD to the government. Introduced in Lok Sabha on April 5 and yet to be Standing Committee.
- The Companies (Amendment) Bill, 2016 Amends the Companies Act, 2013 to address difficulties in implementation with respect to compliance requirements and facilitates ease of doing business.Introduced in Lok Sabha on March 16. Standing Committee Report tabled on December 7, Dec 2016.
- Labour The Factories (Amendment) Bill, 2016 (Enhances the limit of overtime work hours and empowers central government to make exempting rules related to overtime hours.Introduced in Lok Sabha on August 9, 2016 and passed on August 10, 2016.
- Security/Law/Strategic Affairs The Whistle Blowers Protection (Amendment) Bill, 2015 (Specifies grounds under which disclosures related to corruption may not be made.) Introduced in Lok Sabha on May 11, 2015 and passed by Lok Sabha on May 13, May 2015.
- The Constitution (123rd Amendment) Bill, 2017 (Constitutes a Commission for socially and educationally backward classes and empowers it to hear grievances.) Introduced in Lok Sabha on April 5, 2017 and passed on April 10, 2017, Referred to Rajya Sabha.
- The National Commission for Backward Classes (Repeal) Bill, 2017 (Repeals the National Commission for Backward Classes Act, 1993.) Introduced in Lok Sabha on April 5,2017 and passed on April 10, 2017.
- The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2016 Proposes that illegal migrants from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan from specified religious groups will be eligible to apply for Indian citizenship. Introduced in Lok Sabha on July 19, 2016. Joint Parliamentary Committee granted time upto the first day of last week of Monsoon Session, 2017.
- The Prevention of Corruption (Amendment) Bill, 2013 Makes giving a bribe an offence and modifies the definition of taking a bribe. Requires prior sanction to investigate officials. Introduced in Rajya Sabha on August 19, 2013. Standing Committee Report on February 6,2014.
- The Repealing and Amending Bill, 2017
- Shipping/ Transport The Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2016 (Seeks to address issues related to road safety, motor vehicle insurance, and increases penalties under the Act.) Introduced in Lok Sabha August 9, 2016 and passed on April 7, 2017.
- The Admiralty (Jurisdiction and Settlement of Maritime Claims) Bill, 2016 (Consolidates the existing laws on civil matters of admiralty jurisdiction of courts, admiralty proceedings on maritime claims, and arrest of ships.) Introduced on November 21, 2016 and passed on March 10, 2017.
- The Collection of Statistics (Amendment) Bill, 2017 (Extends the jurisdiction of the 2008 Act to Jammu and Kashmir in respect of statistical matters falling in the Union List and Concurrent List applicable to the state.) Introduced in the Lok Sabha on March 20, 2017 and passed on April 11, 2017.
- The Banking Regulation (Amendment) Ordinance, 2017 - Replaces an Ordinance. (Enables the central government to authorise the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to issue directions to banks for resolution of stressed assets.
- The Punjab Municipal Corporation Law (Extension to Chandigarh) Act, 1994 - Replaces an Ordinance Empowers the Municipal corporation of Chandigarh to levy taxes on entertainments and amusements in light of GST.
- Session Alert - Monsoon Session 2017 PRS Legislative Research.
- The Central Goods and Services Tax (Extension to Jammu and Kashmir) Ordinance, 2017 - Replaces an Ordinance. Extends the provisions of the Constitution (One Hundred and First Amendment) Act, 2016 to the State of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The Integrated Goods and Services Tax (Extension to Jammu and Kashmir) Ordinance, 2017 - Replaces an Ordinance Extends the provisions of the Constitution (One Hundred and First Amendment) Act, 2016 to the State of Jammu & Kashmir.
- The Financial Resolution and Deposit Insurance (FRDI) Bill, 2017 Proposes to establish a framework to resolve insolvency in financial firms.
- The State Banks (Repeal and Amendment) Bill, 2017 Merges the State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur, State Bank of Mysore, State Bank of Patiala and State Bank of Travancore into State Bank of India.
- The Consumer Protection Bill, 2017 Protects the rights of the consumers.
- The Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains (Amendment) Bill, 2017 (Paves the way to carry out certain construction limited strictly to public works and projects essential to public within prohibited area of centrally protected monument by any department or office of central government.
- The Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy (IIPE) Bill, 2017 Establishes Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- The Right of Children Free and Compulsory Education (Second Amendment) Bill, 2017 (Empowers the appropriate government to make rules for detaining a child in class 6, 7 or 8 or in two or all three classes and provides for an additional chance to be given to the child for passing each class before the child is detained."
- The Labour Code on Wages Bill, 2017 Consolidates the Minimum Wages Act, 1948, the Payment of Wages Act, 1936, the Payment of Bonus Act, 1965, and the Equal Remuneration Act, 1976 under one law.
- Land and Urban Development The Requisitioning and Acquisition of Immovable Property Amendment Bill, 2017 (Ensures payment of compensation where acquisition been quashed by courts, and enables payment of interest on compensation amount to account for appreciation in market value of the land in the interim, for land acquired for national security and defence purpose.
- The Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorised Occupants) Amendment Bill, 2017 Introduces summary eviction procedures for the purpose of eviction of unauthorised occupants from government accommodation.
- The National Investigation Agency (Amendment) Bill, 2017 Includes extra territorial jurisdiction for NIA investigation, simplifies appointment procedure of judges of the NIA Special Courts, and use of special techniques for investigation of scheduled offences.
- The Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (Amendment) Bill, 2017 (Amends definition of court, provides for forfeit of a property representing proceeds of terrorism in cases of terrorism investigated by NIA, inserts a new schedule to the UAPA for listing individual terrorists, and empowers an inspector of the NIA to investigate offence under the UAPA.)
- The National Sports University Bill, 2017 Establishes a National Sports University (NSU) in Manipur.
- The Participation of Workers in Management Bill, 1990 Provides participation of workers at shop floor, establishment and Board of Management levels.Introduced in Rajya Sabha on May 30, 1990. Standing Committee Report tabled on December 18, 2001.
- The North Eastern Council (Amendment) Bill, 2013 (Specifies term of office of non-official members of the Council, restores function of the Council to discuss issues of mutual interest to two or more states in the region and replaces "the Department of Development of North-Eastern Region" with "Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region".) Introduced in Rajya Sabha on May 11, 2013.Standing Committee Report on May 30, 2013.
- The Consumer Protection Bill, 2015 Replaces the 1986 Act. Provides for redressal of consumer complaints, recall of goods, action against misleading advertisements, and product liability claims. Introduced in Lok Sabha in Auggust 10, 2015. Standing Committee
Report tabled on April 26, 2016, to be replaced by a new Bill
Two new members were sworn into Lok Sabha: Dr. Farooq Abdullah (Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir) and P.K. Kunhalikutty (Malappuram, Kerala).
Both houses adjourned shortly after obituary references of sitting members and former members who passed away during the intersession period.