India and Nepal on Thursday signed multiple Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) to strengthen cooperation in various spheres,k following delegation level talks between the two sides.
Nepal's Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba and his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi witnessed the exchange of MoUs between the two sides.
The following MoUs were signed between India and Nepal:
1. MoU for Utilisation of India's Housing Grant Component to support reconstruction of 50,000 houses
2. MoU on implementation of reconstruction package in the education sector in Nepal
3. MoU on implementation of reconstruction package in the Cultural Heritage sector in Nepal
4. MoU on implementation of reconstruction package in the Health sector in Nepal
5. MoU on agreement on cooperation in the field of standardization and conformity assessment
6. MoU for implementation arrangement on cost sharing, schedules and safeguard issues for construction of Mechi Bridge
7. MoU on Drug demand reduction and prevention of illicit trafficking in Narcotic drugs, Psychotropic substances and precursor chemical and related matters
8. MoU between the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nepal
Earlier, India and Nepal held delegation-level talks at New Delhi's Hyderabad House to further enhancing the ties between the two sides.
Ahead of delegation level talks, Nepal's Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba held bilateral talks with his counterpart Narendra Modi and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj respectively in the national capital.
Deuba asked Prime Minster Modi to "support Nepal more" for development plans and to build more trust and understanding to expand the relations between two nations.
He said Nepal has historical relations with India and his visit is to enhance the partnership for the overall development of Nepal and consolidate the relations between the two countries.
"India has played an important part in our development efforts and we request Prime Minister Modi to support us more for development plans and first to build trust and understanding to expand our relations," Deuba said even as he was accorded a ceremonial reception at the Rashtrapati Bhavan here today.
The Nepal Prime Minister also paid floral tribute to Mahatma Gandhi at Rajghat today. He was accompanied by his wife Arzu Rana Deuba.
Before that, he received a ceremonial welcome and guard of honour at the courts of Rashtrapati Bhavan here.
In a special gesture, Prime Minister Modi received his Nepalese counterpart Deuba at his residence, in an unscheduled meeting Wednesday afternoon.
The Nepal Prime Minister, who is on a five-day visit to India, on Wednesday attended a programme in the Nepali Embassy where he addressed the Nepali community in India and business event organised by the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM).
Nepal Prime Minister Deuba, who is on a five-day state visit to India, landed in New Delhi on Wednesday afternoon.
He will also be inaugurating the electricity transmission line to Nepal from India.