Home » National News » Ahmedabad: Shocking! Mentally-ill woman ate jewellery, nuts, bolts and other metallic objects; what happened next will hit you hard
 
SPEED NEWS

Ahmedabad: Shocking! Mentally-ill woman ate jewellery, nuts, bolts and other metallic objects; what happened next will hit you hard

Speed News Desk | Updated on: 14 November 2018, 10:28 IST

In a bizarre and unbelievable, a woman in her early 40s ate metallic objects around 1.5 kg in total. The woman ate jewellery like mangalsutra, bangles, bracelets, chains, mangalsutra, copper ring etc and other than this she also ate iron nails, nuts and bolts, safety pins, U-pins, hairpins. As per reports, the woman is mentally ill and is suffering from 'acuphagia' disorder.

The woman is in her mid-40s and suffers from 'acuphagia', a rare disorder which causes the person to eat metallic objects, the doctor said.

An acuphagia, rare disorder patient causes the person to eat metallic objects, according to the doctor. She was brought to the civil hospital from a government-run mental hospital where she had been admitted after being found wandering in the city streets, said Dr Nitin Parmar of the hospital.

The woman started complaining of severe pain in her stomach. "She complained of stomach pain. Her stomach was found to be stone-hard. An x-ray revealed several foreign objects in her body, so an operation was performed. Safety pins were protruding from her lung and had punctured the stomach," Dr Parmar said.

An operation was conducted and it took over two hours to remove the foreign objects from her stomach. Iron nails, nuts and bolts, safety pins, U-pins, hairpins, bracelets, chains, mangalsutra, a copper ring and bangles among other things were taken out of her stomach.

The woman hails from Shirdi in Maharashtra and the mental hospital authorities are trying to find her relatives, he said. She has been kept under observation and her condition is stable, the doctor added.

Also read:

First published: 14 November 2018, 10:24 IST
 
NEXT STORY