Huge challenge for Skill India: just 5% study technical or professional courses
First published: 7 April 2016, 2:02 IST
- If you thought that engineering and management were the two hottest educational pursuits for Indians, think again. According to a recent National Sample Survey Organisation report, only 5% of students in the country are engaged in technical or professional education, or studying subjects like engineering and management.
- The rest are in general education, like humanities (B.A., M.A. etc), commerce (B.Com. etc) and science (B.Sc. etc).
- At a time when the Narendra Modi government is pushing for 'Skill India', this data presents a big challenge.
- The survey was conducted between January-June 2014, and covered around 4,577 villages. It excluded "art, music and similar type of courses conducted by individuals in their houses or unrecognised/unaffiliated institutions, classes taken by private tutors, education in nursery/kindergarten/preparatory levels".
- Here are some of the key figures to emerge from the survey: