Former national hockey captain and star midfielder Sardar Singh, named for the country's highest sporting honour, the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, have said that he never allowed his personal problems to dominate the game and neither did he get distracted from his performance.
Sardar Singh is a DSP in the Haryana Police and is posted in Karnal. Sardar was born on July 15, 1986 and hails from Sirsa, Haryana. Sardar plays in place of midfielder. For the first time in the Azlan Shah Tournament of 2008, he led the team and became the youngest hockey captain of the country. The former Indian hockey team captain was awarded Arjuna Award in 2012. Sardar Singh was honoured with the Padma Shri, a civilian honour in the year 2015.
Interesting facts about Sardar Singh
- In International Hockey, Sardar Singh made his senior debut against Pakistan in 2006.
- In 2008, Sardar led Team India in the youngest age (22 years) in the Azlan Shah Cup.
- He was chosen Player of the Tournament in the 2012 Summer Olympics qualifier. Team India got gold in it.
- In his entire career, Sardar scored 15 goals in 243 matches.
- In the Hockey India League, Delhi bought him for 42.49 lakhs.
- In the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, India won the silver medal in his leadership.
Sardar Singh's controversy
Last year, an Indian-origin British hockey player accused captain of Indian hockey team Sardar Singh for 'sexual harassment'.
The woman had alleged that Sardar Singh had engaged her in 2014. After this, there was a physical connection between the two and she became pregnant. It is alleged that Sardar Singh forced her to abort. According to the complaint lodged in police, both of them got into a friendship through a social networking site and the duo met Sardar Singh in 2012.
India won the gold medal by defeating Pakistan in the Asian Games in the captaincy of Sardar in 2014 and qualified directly for the Rio Olympics.
Major achievements of Sardar Singh
- Awarded 'Player of Tournament' in the 2012 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup, where India won the Bronze.
- He was adjudged the Player of the Tournament in the 2012 Summer Olympics Qualifiers, where India won the Gold.
- He was adjudged the Player of the Tournament in the 2010 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup, where India won the Gold.
- He participated in Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament in Malaysia in the year 2006 and the team won Bronze Medal.
- He participated in SAF Games at Colombo in the year 2006 and the team scored 2nd position.
- He participated in 7th Junior Challenge Open Men's at Poland 2006 and scored 2nd position.
- He participated in BDO Hockey Champions Challenge at Belgium 2007 and got Bronze Medal.
- He participated in Commonwealth Games 2006 at Melbourne.
- He participated in INDO-PAK series 2006.
- He participated in Four Nations International Tournament at Germany and the team scored Bronze Medal.
- He also participated in Four Nations Hockey Tournament at Lahore and the team win Silver Medal.
- He participated in Hockey Asia Cup at Chennai 2007 and the team grabbed Gold Medal.
- He participated for India in Canada for the 7 game Test Series against the Canadian National Field Hockey Team.