God of cricket, Sachin Tendulkar, was supposed to be axed from the Indian team in 2012, revealed former chief selector Sandeep Patil.
However, the little master retired from ODI and test cricket in 2012 and 2013, respectively. The internationally highest-run (18,426 ) scorer Tendulkar had announced his ODI retirement on 23 December, 2012 after playing 463 ODIs.
The legendary player has 49 ODI centuries registered in his name.
According to Patil, the then selectors met Tendulkar on 12 December, 2012 in Nagpur and spoke to him about his plans. While Sachin asserted that he was not looking forward to retirement, the selectors had already decided to drop him.
According to NDTV, in an interview to Marathi channel 'ABP Majha', Patil said, "On December 12, 2012, we met Sachin and asked him about his future plans. He said he did not have retirement on his mind. But the selection committee had reached a consensus on Sachin... And had informed the board too about it. Perhaps Sachin understood what was coming because at the time of the next meeting, Sachin called and said he was retiring (from ODIs). If he had not announced his decision to quit then, we would have definitely dropped him."
"Sachin wanted to concentrate more on Test cricket. He called me and Sanjay Jagdale (then BCCI secretary). Then it was collectively decided that he will retire from ODIs," he added.
On 21 September, Patil was succeeded by former India wicket keeper MSK Prasad as the chief selector.