Drawing attention to the dire need of beefing up security across the Punjab border in the aftermath of the Pathankot terror attack, Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Sunday said that his government would write to the Centre raising these concerns.
Stating that the BSF deployment on the Punjab border is inadequate, he said: "In comparison to Jammu and Kashmir, the deployment of BSF personnel on the Punjab border is inadequate."
The Deputy Chief Minister further said the Centre should increase deployment of BSF personnel in the fencing area along the International Border, as the Pathankot attack was second terrorist attack in Punjab in the past six months.
On July 27 last year, terrorists struck at the Dinanagar police station in Gudaspur district of Punjab, killing seven people - three civilians, Superintendent of Police Baljit Singh and three home guards.
In the wake of terrorist attacks in Gurdaspur and Pathankot districts, Sukhbir said, "A commando battalion will be established in Pathankot district."
He said the Punjab Police would act as the second line of defence, whereas the BSF would be first line of defence.
Meanwhile, the combing operation to neutralize remaining terrorists in Air Force Base would continue till tomorrow. On 2 January, four terrorists were gunned, while stayed back. One of them has been cornered and killed, according to latest reports.
In the course of combing operation at airbase, a blast was reported from inside in which a Lt. Col. lost his life. Five injured commandos are being treated at a hospital.
The total number of martyrs during the combing operation has reached seven so far.
With inputs from ANI