Shashi Kapoor was one of the finest and versatile stars of his generation. Although Raj Kapoor gave a new definition to Indian cinema, but Shashi Kapoor was the most charming and romantic star of his time. He showed the different class of cinema to the audience.
#RIPShashiKapoor ...the most charming and enigmatic actor ever...a gentleman movie star! His legacy in film and theatre is exceptional...thoughts and prayers with the family....his work will always live on... pic.twitter.com/U9jsAGxGET— Karan Johar (@karanjohar) December 4, 2017
On 4th December, the Indian cinema lost its classic and most loved son actor Shashi Kapoor. We have brought 10 interesting facts about the Deewar actor:
1. Shashi Kapoor was the son of Prithviraj Kapoor (grandfather of Hindi cinema) and he was born on 18th March 1938. Shashi was the youngest son of Prithviraj Kapoor.
2. Shashi's name was Balbir Raj Kapoor in childhood, he was interested in acting since childhood and he got the chance of acting in Prithvi theatre.
3. Shashi Kapoor started his acting career through his father Prithviraj Kapoor's theatre Shakuntala as a child artist in 1944.
4. He got married at the young age of 20 years with a co-actor from a theatre group Jenifer. She was 3 years older than him.
5. Shashi Kapoor was one of the actors in India who worked at international level films. He had worked in the Hollywood films like Householder, Bombay Talkies, Heat and Dust and others.
6. Shashi Kapoor worked with veteran directors like Aparna Sen, Shyam Benegal, Govind Nihalani, Girish Karnad in films like Junoon, Kalyug, 36 Chaurangi Lane, Utsav and others.
7. He was honoured with Dada Saheb Phalke for his work and achievements in the films.
8. He won national award for his film-making for the film Junoon and he was honoured with Padma Bhushan in 2011.
9. Besides this, Shashi Kapoor also won best actor award for 'Jab Jab Phool Khile' and special jury award for film ' Muhafiz'.
10. Shashi Kapoor took retirement from cinema in 1998 as his last film was Jinna in 1998.