Speed News Desk | Updated on: 22 August 2015, 18:36 IST
In a bizarre incident of superstition in Bahraich, Uttar Pradesh, a mother dipped her new-born baby's fingers in hot mustard oil to 'save his life'.
The child was taken to hospital and is in a critical condition.
- The child had been born in a local hospital on 18 August, but was unwell. Doctors treated him and discharged him and his mother the following day.
- When the mother was visited by some elderly women, she was informed that the child was suffering from 'Jamoga Byar', an ailment caused by the occupation of spirits.
- The women told the mother that she should dip the baby's fingers in hot mustard oil to get rid of the spirits, and keep the baby healthy.
- Following their advice, she duly dipped the baby's fingers in host mustard oil. But the blistering heat was too much for the new-born who lost consciousness and had to be rushed to hospital, where doctors were able to save his life.
- However, the baby is still in a critical condition and is under observation.